skip to main content


Where Can I Find More Information about Entry/Immigration into Countries Other than the U.S. and Canada?

Posted on July 7, 2022

Please see this website for resources about immigration into Europe:

Where Can I Find More Information about Entry/Immigration into Canada?

Posted on July 7, 2022

A Canada-Ukraine Authorization for Emergency Travel (CUAET) for individuals fleeing Ukraine has been established. More details can be found on this official government page:  For comprehensive information about immigration  for those affected by the situation in Ukraine, please see these other official government resources: 

Where Can I Find Information about Social Services and Community Resources for Ukrainians Entering the U.S.?

Posted on July 7, 2022

The U.S. government does not offer any benefits or financial assistance to individuals who are here on a B1/B2 tourist/visitor visa. This visa is not designed for those seeking permanent residence or who are entering the U.S. for humanitarian reasons. It is possible that some municipalities have resources available for U.S. residents who meet certain criteria such as poverty or having minor-aged children. Certain private or non-profit organizations may offer individuals assistance with food, shelter, or necessities during their visit to the U.S. Here is a partial list of organizations and community groups helping displaced Ukrainians in the U.S.: Chicago:  Florida:  New York City:  Seattle:  New Jersey:  Connecticut:  Minnesota:  Miami:  Catholic Charities:  HIAS Resettlement Partners:  Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Services:  Nova Ukraine Resources:  Temporary Lodging – I Can Help Host:  Temporary Lodging – Ukraine Take Shelter:  Temporary Lodging – Airbnb: 

Should I Consult a Lawyer?

Posted on July 7, 2022

It is always advisable to get advice from a licensed attorney in the U.S. who regularly practices immigration law before starting any visa or immigration application.

Do I Need to Have Family in the U.S. to Apply for Permanent Residence?

Posted on July 7, 2022

No, it is not necessary. There are other pathways for permanent residence, including employer sponsored and humanitarian (discussed above). We note that employer sponsored immigration is fairly specific and can be a lengthy process.

What Are the Family-Based Visa Categories?

Posted on July 7, 2022

There are two groups of family based immigrant visa categories: Immediate Relatives and Family Preference. Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas are based on a close family relationship with a United States citizen (not a Lawful Permanent Resident). The number of immigrants in these categories is not limited each fiscal year. An “Immediate Relative” for immigration purposes is one of the following: Spouses of U.S. citizens (including same sex spouses) Unmarried children (under 21 years of age) of U.S. citizens Orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen Orphan to be adopted in the U.S. by a U.S. citizen Parent of a U.S. citizen (U.S. citizen child must be at least 21 years of age) Although a fiance(e) does not fall into any of the above categories, a U.S. citizen can file for a fiancé(e) through a different visa process. A Lawful Permanent Residents cannot file for a fiancé(e). Family Preference Immigrant Visas are available for certain, more distant, family relationships with a U.S. citizen, as well as some specified relationships with a Lawful Permanent Resident.  The quantity of such visas is limited for each fiscal year. “Family Preference” relatives for immigration purposes include the following: Unmarried son or daughter (age 21 and over) of a U.S. citizen, and their minor children Married son or daughter (age 21 and over) of a U.S. citizen, including their spouses and minor children… Read more

How Can Ukrainians Apply for Permanent Residence in the U.S.?

Posted on July 7, 2022

Generally, there are three types of immigrant visa categories that can lead to permanent residence and resettlement in the U.S.: Family Sponsored Employer Sponsored (not discussed in detail here), and Humanitarian (discussed above in the asylum and refugee sections of this document). Each application is considered individually and varies in processing time. Note that, due to the tremendous backlog pre-existing before the war, applicants may wait months or even years for approval.

Is a Non-Immigrant Visa a Pathway to Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship?

Posted on July 7, 2022

Generally, no. A non-immigrant visa is not designed to be a pathway to Permanent Residence or U.S. Citizenship.

I’m Currently in the U.S., but My Visa or Status Is about to Expire. Can I Extend My Stay?

Posted on July 7, 2022

The U.S. has authorized Ukrainians who arrived in the U.S. on or before April 11, 2022 and have been present in the U.S. continuously since that date to apply for Temporary Protected Status (TPS). You will be able to apply for TPS once the directive with instructions is published. Ukrainians who arrived in the U.S. after April 11 are not eligible to apply for TPS. For now, Ukrainians may sign up to be notified of registration availability. Please see the above section for more details on TPS. Ukrainians who are legally residing in the U.S. can also request a status extension by filing Form I-539 form and explaining why they cannot return to Ukraine. Please note that when filing the I-539, you will be asked whether you have worked in the United States without authorization, if you have violated the terms of your non-immigrant status, and whether you will be financially supported without working.

Do I Need to Have Family in the U.S. to Apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa?

Posted on July 7, 2022

Generally speaking, no, you do not need to have family in the U.S. to apply for a non-immigrant visa. This may vary based on the type of non-immigrant visa for which you are applying, as some types of family-based non-immigrant visas do require the applicant to have a family member in the U.S. Other types of non-immigrant visa applications may benefit from family sponsorship, even if family relationships in the U.S. are not required.

This site is for general information only. It is not intended to provide legal advice and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

Learn more about how to use this site.